My Midwestern dream: get a deep freezer in my garage that contains a pillow sized bag of shredded cheese.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Mmmm...cats!

I don't think Leia is "cat safe". Within the last 24 hours she's seen three; two house, one stray...and let's just say I witnessed a bit too much lip licking and whining. (I really don't understand the whining part.)

Last night I offered to take Leia around while Jason made dinner. I saw my friend Catherine (who's 7 months pregnant) sitting on her balcony and we were chatting. Leia got a glimpes of her two cats on the balcony and was very interested in them. Then she started crying as she looked at them...like, "I'd like to play with you." Which translates to (and i'm guessing here) "I'd like to kill you." They did look a lot like the brown squirrel we saw earlier in the summer - you remember the time - when i was innocently walking Leia and she turned into the Hulk for 30 seconds as she watched a squirrel cross the road...yeah, it was strange.

Then this morning we were on our way inside after our walk down the path and Leia insisted on passing up the door to go toward some nearby bushes. Sure enough - we saw a stray(?) cat crouched down under a bush with what looked like a mouse in it's mouth.

Standing there with Leia on the sidewalk was similar to a line from the movie ET. Remember when Elliot is showing ET all of his favorite toys in his room?..."Look fish. The fish eat the fish food, and the shark eats the fish, and nobody eats the shark." Only in this case, the cat eats the mouse and the dog eats the cat.

Leia actually reminds me of ET in many ways. She's five years old and she's just realizing how awesome cheese is. She just discovered that people go in cars, and that car rides can be fun...and that crinkle noises from the kitchen may be a good reason to get up.

They say it can take up to a year for your greyhound to go from alien to actually acting like a "real" dog. I'd say Leia is coming right along.

No comments: