My Midwestern dream: get a deep freezer in my garage that contains a pillow sized bag of shredded cheese.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Hey, new couple: Two to a treadmill.

I was inspired to write this post after reading my friend N's post while eating lunch at my desk. Her morning run story reminded me of my morning runs, which occur a minimum of 4 out of the 5 weekdays - in our condo gym. Nothing fancy, just a treadmill, the sunrise and me. ( I aspire to one day be as calculated with the miles and times as N (go N!), but for now I just monitor my heart rate and sweat a lot.)

Early in the morning, I'm usually the only one there. Exept for one other girl and the occasional straggler, I spend my time alone in the gym. No one seems to be on my schedule - which is fine by me - because when I'm pushing myself doing intervals I tend to cough if my heart rate gets too high, and people end up thinking something is wrong with me.

So, last Friday it must have been "gym day" as the lady with the cane showed up (who likes to ride the bike in the dark and asked me to keep the lights off...we finally came to a one light on one light off decision) and then this new couple which have proved to be a bit annoying. So on Friday the new couple occupied the two available treadmills in the condo gym. No biggie, I made a b-line for the elliptical with the thought that my legs were tired anyway (and I usually go for the elliptical on Friday's anyway.) However - as I pumped away I noticed that both people were just walking very slow! THE WHOLE TIME.

A few days pass, and they arrive together on Tuesday morning. But this time, I'm on a treadmill. I noticed their body language and they were clearly not happy with the fact that I was using one of the machines. I couldn't really see, but from glancing over at them I swear I saw some eye rolling - "really?" I thought, "I am pretty sure it's first come first serve." So, I just ignored them and kept running. Today, they came in again. Thankfully, I was a few minutes away from finishing my run - so I didn't disrupt their workout or should I say their walk. I will be monitoring this situation and hope that it doesn't present an issue for the winter months ahead. No doubt some people will move their workouts indoors, so maybe this is the case. If so, I will deal, I guess.

But for now - ALL I'M SAYING IS (and sorry for shouting) - if you're gonna hog both treadmills and just *walk* - then it's two to a treadmill!

Sync up people, you're new!

3 comments:

Paw said...

First of all, congrats on running at the crack of dawn. Yes, you're officially crazy. Secondly, I'm curious to know if this couple is younger or older. I guess I can understand if they're 80, but if they're 30, why would they get up at the buttcrack of dawn to walk slowly!!??

Ross said...

HEY! "two to a treadmill"!! I said that! Thief!

Ahhhh...who turned the lights on in here? My retinas!

Lynette said...

They are in there 30s (I'm guessing) and today - they arrived with coats on. Like they walked in from outside. Do they even live in the building? I have so many new questions! The mystery continues.