My Midwestern dream: get a deep freezer in my garage that contains a pillow sized bag of shredded cheese.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The chips are here!

You know - THE chips. The one's you cart back from Chicago everytime you visit--no matter what.

Golden crunchy triangles of joy. Yes, those.

El Ranchero Tortilla Chips!

Some of you Illinoians perhaps take these chips for granted as you walk down the snack isle at your local Jewel/Osco. You may in fact give no thought to them at all when you toss them in your grocery cart, however for the deprived east-coast-mid-westerners...each bag and each bite is treasured.

Almost rivaling the mid-west pizza cut in squares, these chips can be dipped or just eaten plain and they are wonderfully delicious.

My mouth is watering just writing about them. Who knew that corn, lime, corn oil and salt (the ingredients) could make my heart swoon! I guess it's just that little "taste of home" that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. So, here's to you Illionois! I love your chips!

So, how did I come in posession of said cheeps? As the story goes, last week my friend P told me he was going to fly to Chicago over the weekend to drive back his new car -so he asked if I needed anything from the Jewel. "Why yes, " I replied, "depending on trunk space, a bag of El Ranchero tortilla chips...two bags if you have room!" P said, "sure, no problem."

So, today, P drove to work in his new car and brought with him a grocery bag from Dominick's - fresh from Libertyville, IL - with two bags of chips for me. Oh, you should have seen my face.

1 comment:

JC said...

Bring those little bastards home! "Run straight home, Charlie! Don't stop for anyone!"