My Midwestern dream: get a deep freezer in my garage that contains a pillow sized bag of shredded cheese.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Watch OUT! Tyrannus tyrannus!!!

The past few days out walking Leia, we have been harrassed by a bird on the front of our building. I just did a google search and I believe it to be an Eastern Kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus)...or as I will be referring to it Eastern King-Jerk. This bird won't give up. Each day we just walk calmly down the brick sidewalk around the building and as we approach the front -it begins. The bird start harrassing us and diving down on us. The bird got about 5 dives in today and the last one almost nipped Leia's bum. Sheeeeeesh. I made a lame attempt to shoo it away. (I bet that looked goofy.) So, I read up on the Eastern Kingjerk and here's what I found.


Eastern Kingbird Notes: Fearless, often harasses larger birds. Pairs may defend nest vigorously against people. Timing of breeding appears to be related to insect abundance.

I'm guessing there's a nest close by. I'm going to look. Better yet, I may just find a new route for Leia's walk. It's kinda freaky how close this bird gets!

Speaking of Leia. Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She turns 5 today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

JC said...

So that's the bastard that did a Top Gun flyby past my head! I waved my arm at it, but then felt goofy like I was King Kong swiping at bi-planes.