My Midwestern dream: get a deep freezer in my garage that contains a pillow sized bag of shredded cheese.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

It Only Takes A Moment

When we went to see Wall-E a week ago, I didn't realize how much I liked it. It is stuck in my brain. Yes, I'm still in awe about the grand message of where our planet is headed - and the hype that Pixar may take home an Oscar for best picture -but that's not what is stuck in my brain.

What's stuck is my favorite part of the movie - the love story. Wall-E's cleaver record application allows him to record and playback sections of the Hello Dolly song "It Only Takes A Moment" and it creates this theme of yearning for love and companionship throughout the movie that put a lump in my throat. And what better way to profess your love for someone - than in a showtune? Right? I do it to Jason all the time! (I'm joking...but sometimes i make up showtune-like songs and sing them to Leia on the path, but they're usually about treats and sniffing.)

In the original Hello Dolly - Dolly is a widow who becomes a matchmaker for all her friends...she was making love connections. I'll admit, Wall-E made a connection with me - and i'm hooked.

I wonder how many people ran out and bought a copy of Hello Dolly after they left the theater? I managed to find the original scene from Hello Dolly on YouTube.





"It only takes a moment for your eyes to meet - and then your heart knows in a moment that you'll never be alone again." from "It Only Takes A Moment" / Hello Dolly.

No comments: