My Midwestern dream: get a deep freezer in my garage that contains a pillow sized bag of shredded cheese.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

We Made It Home.


"Ice Fangs"
(Grrrrrr....the front of my Camry after the ice storm.)

I know we can't possibly top the mounds of snow that everyone's getting in the mid-west, but yesterday's ice storm in the DC area came pretty close. All day it was dry and then - like all of a sudden - ice started falling from the sky!

On a normal day, I get a call from Jason around 5:30ish when he's made it home and out walking Leia. It's our daily dog update call - to assure me the house didn't burn down or she didn't "accidently open the window and jump out." (Neither of thes have happened.) So the phone rang and it was Jason - still in his car, stuck on 395 in front of the Pentagon.

He said to me, "WTOP is reporting that 395 is closed." So, i asked, "where are you?" He said, "I'm ON 395." Oh my!....well then.....what do you do? You sit, and wait....and that's what he did.

4 hours later...

Jason finally made it home. My pour thirsty, hungry, tired husband who had to go to the bathroom!!! finally made it! In fact - after leaving work at 4:45pm - and several updates on the cell in-between- Jason called me to tell me he was in the turn lane to our street. Yes, the journey was so long, he felt it was necessary to call in to report he had ALMOST made it.

"I am in the turn lane to our street, I'm about to turn in!" he said.

At 8:45pm he arrived home safe.

All the while - i was still at work. There was no reason to leave and to sit in the jam....so I cleaned my desk (I was overdue anyway) and finally got home aroun 11pm. It took me 45 minutes just to get the ice off before i left the parking lot.

Leia got a new toy for being so good, and sleeping through the whole thing.
A green frog.

No comments: