My Midwestern dream: get a deep freezer in my garage that contains a pillow sized bag of shredded cheese.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Early Bird Special

Jason woke me up at 5:20am this morning. Not that I was shocked by that. We planned it. The polling place opened at 6am and I needed extra time to walk Leia first. Leia was confused - as she usually wakes US up...but was happy to go outside early to get in her daily sniffs.

Then it was off to the voting booth to participate in the Potomac Primary. You can hardly ignore politics in this town so it felt good to contribute. Our voter registration card indicated that we vote down at the community center (that has the gym and pool) but there was also voting happening right next door at the elementary school. (So THAT's why all those people were lingering about when I was walking Leia.) It did seem strange to see a bunch of cars "idle" on our walk. And the frantic lady who turned her car around right in the middle of the street. Crazy early birds!

But, I guess I'm lumped into that catagory too. At work they give us a 4 hour "leave" time to vote, but since I'm on the air...it doesn't really work out that way for me. HOWEVER, Jason said he will be leaving early to "vote" (wink, wink) even though he already did this morning.

Speaking of which - the coolest part was getting this "I voted" sticker - and somehow, during our 2 minute car ride back home, I lost mine! What the heck? Jason was so sweet - he let me have his sticker, and it's the one I'm wearing today.

2 comments:

ezabeta said...

What a guy! I was just saying how the absolute best part of voting is the sticker (as long as you exclude the part about shaping the country's destiny). Awfully sweet of him to give you his sticker! Of course it could also be cause it would be hard leaving work to "go vote" when you already have the sticker on your lapel.

Lynette said...

Exactly! However, the sweet gesture came before I knew about the scheme. And leaving early did not work, as we now know - Jason's commute home last night took 4 long hours!