My Midwestern dream: get a deep freezer in my garage that contains a pillow sized bag of shredded cheese.

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Do some good in 2008.


Happy New Year! It's day two of the new year and I've decided to set a goal for myself. I am going to do my part in 2008 when it comes to recycling. Jason and I get a ton of recycling down to the trash room each week- which i can only HOPE is ACTUALLY being recycled (I'm pretty sure every sheet of paper I put in the recycle bins at work just get put in the regular trash at the end of the day. Nice.) But, at least i'm doing my part!


So, Jason and I started watching the new season of The Biggest Loser (Couples) on NBC last night and the show has done away with using plastic bottles to help the contestants reduce their waists and their waste. Everyone was carrying around a green Nalgene bottle! Nalgene teamed up with Brita for the FilterForGood pledge. Check out the webpage for more info on these reusable Nalgene bottles. You can get one too!


Now, most of us already own a couple Nalgene bottles for camping - and we're way ahead of the pack on this idea of "filtered water in a reusable bottle." So, it's second nature to incoporate a Nalgene bottle into our everyday activities. Especially if you're my dad - he's been filtering his drink out of strange bodies of water for years (using his ancient white plastic first edition Nalgene bottle with a blue top and blue lettering.) He'll be the first to tell you "it's important to stay well hydrated!" Right Dad? Or perhaps you're my sister who fills her pink Nalgene bottle (with a sylish white flower on the side) from the tap each morning. Or me, I have a dark pink 32 ouncer i'm fond of at the moment. It's chilling in the fridge at work as we speak. Which ever shade (or method of filtration) you prefer - just know you've been making a difference all these long years! And keep up the good work!


Reader Warning:

A while back, a friend of mine started hating on the Nalgene bottle because of an article he read. You can make your own call, but the evidence was enough for Patagonia stores to pull Nalgene from their shelves. Yikes! I guess my advice is to not put them in the dishwasher, since the ultra-hot water can cause the polycarbonate to break down and leach Bisphenol A. Which I read was a bad bad thing. Also, you should replace the bottle around the time the print wears off the outside.

Looks like I need a new one! (Dad, you should get a new one too.)

No comments: