My Midwestern dream: get a deep freezer in my garage that contains a pillow sized bag of shredded cheese.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Holy+Holy+

The minute James put on his new white Van's for his baptism last July, I kinda knew he was in trouble. He was just learning to walk and he would run full speed into walls. So, with a thicker shoe than he normally wore, he was also tripping all over the place and I was overwhelmed with worry. He ended up bruising his head, biting his lip getting blood on his outfit. Oh boy.

Did I enjoy the day? Yes. Was it stressful looking back, no. But James is all consuming at times and takes away from my full hearted conversations with adults. That's why I'm taking a moment to remember his baptism today. And those that attended. Kris sang, the pastor was amazing. But why do I struggle to see mom in my memory. Think think think. It's like I'm blinded by caring for James and that distraction won't let me remember her. She's there though. Front and center, sitting in the second pew with Dad. Proud as heck. She loved James to pieces and I pushed to make this moment happen last year.

Maybe it was all the planning and coordination. What dress should Kris wear? None of my clothes fit. We stayed and Karen and Joe's house so we were all over the map stretching ourselves thin to spend time with everyone. Or how I wanted brunch but mom planned an afternoon party a la every party ever that happens at our house. Pretty sure James slept through the entire thing and we didn't cut the cake till really late that day for some reason- I think I insisted on taking a picture or something. The meatballs and italian beefs tasted great and everyone seemed happy.

No matter the little things, I remember it was a great day. And the beginning of a great week spent in Illinois. A celebration of James' life. Plus, in addition to this photo I captured some great pics from the week. That would have been the last time I saw mom in person if you don't count Skype. I am planning to bronze those shoes in memory of a wonderful day with the family and a story to be able to share with James for years to come.

No comments: