My Midwestern dream: get a deep freezer in my garage that contains a pillow sized bag of shredded cheese.

Saturday, August 14, 2010

This little heart o' mine.


About 4 1/2 years ago Jason and I both quit smoking. Our journey has been nearly the same up until this point (although he quit one week before me and didn't eat NEARLY as many jellybeans as I did in the process.) That seems like forever ago - but it was the beginning of something new for both of us. We reconnected on new levels and joined a gym shortly after we quit smoking and like a light switch "click" we were off on a new path - a healthier one - and I'm happy to report that neither of us have gone back after quitting cold turkey. (Yay us!) I hardly remember it now, but I struggled for a while with not having that social outlet at work, or stress reliever to turn to. I'll even wager that since we both quit smoking, Jason and I have encountered epic sized stressful situations that would be instant triggers, but we somehow held our ground. And I should have own stock in Trident gum. I chewed so much of that stuff. It was the bubblegum flavor - and I can't stand the taste now. Like cigarettes, I'll never buy Trident again.




It's kind of amazing when you feel strongly enough about something in your heart- what you'll do to see it through. Jason and I made the decision to quit smoking and stuck to it. Pretty amazing stuff - I amazed myself to be honest. Since then, I wouldn't say I'm super extreme when it comes to all the things I believe in or in my quest to be a healthier person - but rather that's all my heart knows to do now.




In fact, I've been relying on my heart a lot lately. Not so good when you're navigating rough waters at work, but rewarding when an opportunity dear to my heart - like supporting local farmers - comes around. (We now own a CSA 'Community Supported Agriculture' share of organic crops - something I have researched at length since I quit smoking! see pic) Or -like, when it comes to my career, my work ethic surprises me sometimes- because that's how my heart works. And when I married Jason, I knew without doubt he'd be my one and only forever. Cause my heart knew. Sometimes you just know things. (Come on- you know what I'm talking about!) And through all of this, Jason and I have walked in step with the positive and healthy changes in our lives. Giving us strength to endure lifes challenges along the way. More recently, for example, as if Jason and I were both tapped on the shoulder at the same time - we both - and I'm not kidding - it happened seperatly in both of us within a month - decided we should look for strength through God. Life has an intersting way of moving you forward. And 2010 has taken us on yet another journey together, and I think we're both better people for it. I can feel it in my heart.