My Midwestern dream: get a deep freezer in my garage that contains a pillow sized bag of shredded cheese.

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Mercury in Retrograde begins August 20th

Ok, so Mercury isn't in retrograde just yet... but if you even halfway believe Susan Miller and her guide to astrology...you know when Mercury is in retrograde it's a time of reflection and going back to repair things, clean out closets...old relationships, stories and ideas pop up out of nowhere...that sort of thing.

When Mercury is in retrograde, it is also suggested you avoid signing important papers (like closing on a house) or buy electronic equipment (like a new TV) -for fear of getting a lemon - or something of that nature. My friend Ross is always asking when Mercury will be in retrograde so he can plan his next electronics purchase. In fact, if he's having a particular bad day he will go out of his way to check the status of Mercury with me. It's pretty amusing. So Mercury will be in retrograde from August 20-September 12, 2010 Please don't buy a laptop at this time. Or er...whatevs...I'm not even sure if this stuff is truly real.

So, in related retrograde news...this falling in the old relationship category...I just discovered this article in Spinner magazine where Morrissey revealed his Top 13 albums of all time. On this list –the no-brainers like the Ramones and Velvet Underground – and then - as odd as it may seem – coming in at #11 on the list - Morrissey (who ranks very high when it comes to singers I love) picked an album that I sang backing vocals on. I don't usually mention old flames on my blog or in conversation, I've truly moved on in my life - but back in the mid nineties I dated the lead singer of the punk rock crooning band the Smoking Popes and I sang backing vocals on one song on their 1995 album Born To Quit on Capitol records.

Safe to say it was a long long time ago, and I’m fuzzy on the details when it comes to our relationship’s demise. I’m pretty sure, not long after this album was released, he broke my heart and went on a nationwide tour with Green Day. A story with true street cred among the indie rock kids I guess.

I haven’t thought about this memory in so long – so it was pretty funny to see the list Morrissey made, and to find I contributed to it.

True, I sang on that album back in 1995 - but that seems like lifetime ago. However, it's pretty cool Morrissey has heard my voice. I guess you never know who's listening.


Here's the article:


Morrissey Reveals Top 13 Albums Of All Time.

No comments: