My Midwestern dream: get a deep freezer in my garage that contains a pillow sized bag of shredded cheese.

Thursday, June 14, 2007

They're "Enrobed"

Do they still make Mallomars? I’m suddenly craving one -and I’ve never even had one before!...we’ll that’s not totally true. I’ve eaten s’mores before, and they have the same ingredients: graham, mallow and chocolate. And for the record, I recently purchased Safeway’s “Fudge Marshmallow Cookies”. Same thing? Hmmm…I’m guessing the Nabisco brand below tastes even better. So, after a google search online, I was shocked to learn that Mallomars are “seasonal”…wha???? Can that be true??? A seasonal cookie?

I quote (from a Mallomar fan): “ Mallomars are available only from October to mid-March, because they are such delicate flowers they would melt in the harsh spring and summer months. News of the wonders of refrigeration and climate control has apparently not reached Nabisco's New Jersey headquarters.”

SHOOT! It’s already JUNE!! Have I missed the Mallomar window of wonder? Perhaps.

If you’re curious, here is the official Mallowmars description:

“A circle of Graham cracker is covered with a puff of extruded marshmallow, then enrobed (not dipped) in a hard dark chocolate shell. Mallomars were introduced to the public in 1913, the same year as the Moon Pie (a confection which has similar ingredients).”

I will start my search at the store this weekend.

Good To Know: On a more nutritional note, Jason and I stopped by the Del Ray Farmer’s Market last weekend. Delicious!

No comments: