My Midwestern dream: get a deep freezer in my garage that contains a pillow sized bag of shredded cheese.

Monday, March 12, 2012

I met Jay Farrar

Talk about a rush. I saw that Jay Farrar was going to be at Sirius XM today, but never knew I'd feel the intense rush of meeting him in person! How very cool. Meeting Jay is like having your entire life flash before you - memories times twenty.

If you watch the video below - I witnessed these four artists singing at work today and it was literally one of the most amazing sounds I have ever heard. The harmonies alone killed! Plus, after they finished, I was about to head back to my studio - when as chance had it - I got to shake Jay Farrar's hand (twice) and tell him the story about "Mystifies Me" - our wedding song from the Son Volt album Trace. Of course it's a cover (it was?) - originally recorded by Ron Wood of the Stones...but just as this amazing post by Aquarium Drunkard points out, "Mystifies Me" is one amazing song.

"Son Volt’s version plays out like a well worn love letter; something written between two people who know each other very, very well. The mystification that Farrar sings about is the evidence of their relationship’s strength. It is a show of something that never gets old, that seeps and dodges definition."

God, that's us. I love you Jason.

And...in the comments section of the post, it doesn't look like Jason and I were alone in choosing this song to dance to at our wedding. Who knew?

Anyway, a pretty awesome Monday so far - the Birchmere in Alexandria is sold out tonight - check out this YouTube teaser. I believe the album New Multitudes is now available.


No comments: