My Midwestern dream: get a deep freezer in my garage that contains a pillow sized bag of shredded cheese.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Day 15 post op, Day 3 post Xmas, t-3 days to post 2010

You know how they say "it'll change your life"? People use that phrase for a lot of things I guess. Well, I've been thinking it applies to me lately. I can't deny that I spent most of 2010 worrying. I'm not even that much of the worrying kind (unless the wiper fluid doesn't work on the windshield and we can't see out the window will driving really fast in Ohio.) But that seems minor compared to the worrying I've done this year. Like, back in April, May and June when things were questionable at work and then in September when I found out my mom was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, and then October when we were like "ok, insert awesome here" when I found out I was pregnant. We are both feeling blessed and thankful. But I really worried the first 13 weeks. And I am still worrying. It really does feel like it's all happening at once these days. And I hadn't posted in a while because I didn't want to spill the beans too soon. ;-)

So my mom went in for her major surgery on December 13th at University of Chicago Medical Center and ended up staying for 16 days. She's coming home today. the surgery was a complete hysterectomy and an outside lining of her stomach removed where they saw most of the tumors attached. Post op included some crazy setbacks, like her heart triggered by anxiety went into atrial fibrillation (A-fib)and continued to have an abnormal heart rhythm for 12 days. During that time, a blockage at the bottom of her stomach/top of intestines wouldn't allow fluid to escape her stomach so she was put on a suction tube to pump her stomach and did not eat for 11 days. Finally, on Christmas Day, they removed the tube after a CT scan found no blockage. My mom was happy to eat a cherry popsicle for Christmas dinner. And then on Sunday, Dec 26 - she could smell the lemon cake I brought for my dad from Jason's mom and asked to have a bite (even though she was still on a liquid only diet) and boom, her heart went back to a normal rhythm. Just like that. I am so happy she is on her way home today. My mom is so strong, it's amazing.

It's three days after Christmas and I feel like I missed out a little on the whole Christmas thing this year - but then again, it's times like this where we grow closest to our families. And isn't that what Christmas is about? Like poor Jason getting sick (bronchitis) before we left for Illinois- out cold for three days with a temp above 101 - I took care of him. Then I got sick from him in Illinois and he took care of me....meanwhile we both took care of my Mom visiting the hospital all day everyday we were there. It's just nice to know everyone's getting back home, and feeling a little better and enjoying real food and the cozy comforts of our own stuff.

T minus three days to post 2010 and I'm ready to start a New Year.

1 comment:

Chris said...

So glad Mom is home! That's great news!