My Midwestern dream: get a deep freezer in my garage that contains a pillow sized bag of shredded cheese.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Candy Coated Nuts!


For some reason, while i was at the grocery store on Sunday, a glistening package of Peanut Brittle caught my eye. In-between the deli counter and the bread section it called out my name. I got a closer look only to find that this particular canister of Peanut Brittle was almost $10. I thought, "I can do better than that." As if - the challenge was ON! I researched my cookbooks, even called my parents and got the extremely old version of Peanut Brittle - the kind they made back in the day! (*Note: I've included the "scan" from my parents ancient Better Homes "New" Cookbook. My dad can't find a date on his copy, but i'm thinking it's from the 1950s.)


As my dad and I talked, it was made offical -The Annual Christmas Cookie Baking Season -has arrived! Every year, my dad has the same list of delicious cookies - Pinwheels are his specialty - and it just wouldn't be Chirstmas without them. So, this week, the Gingersnaps, Spritz, Pinwheels and Cresents will be created! And for some reason, i have this adventurous candy dream.
Perhaps it was my recent visit to the Sarris Candy Factory on Thanksgiving weekend. Or, just that $10 canister of peanut brittle at the grocery store.
No matter....the supplies will be purchased, and candy will be made! ( i hope) ....I have to find the right saucepan first.



No comments: